Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Fathers Day!!!


Letter from the Prez
AOL News June 19) -- On his first Father's Day in the White House, President Obama makes a public confession to his daughters.
"I know I have been an imperfect father. I know I have made mistakes," he writes in Sunday's Parade magazine.
The president's essay is part personal reflection and part policy statement.
"In many ways, I came to understand the importance of fatherhood through its absence," says Obama, who was 2 when his father left. "I came to understand that the hole a man leaves when he abandons his responsibility to his children is one that no government can fill."
The president often mentions how much he enjoys his family's closeness now that they're living "above the office." He sees Malia, 10, and Sasha, 8, every day before school and every night at dinner. But he paid a price to get a job with such perks.
"I have lost count of all the times, over the years, when the demands of work have taken me from the duties of fatherhood. There were many days out on the campaign trail when I felt like my family was a million miles away," he admits in the essay.
He regrets missing precious moments in the lives of his girls, calling it a loss he "will never fully accept."

No comments: