Thursday, December 10, 2009

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR WALLET IS STOLEN OR LOST


I lost my wallet and of course it had all my id's, ssc and whole bunch of other shit. So I went on line to find out what I should do and I ran across critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know.

As everyone always advises, cancel your credit cards immediately, but the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them easily.

(I never ever thought to do this)
Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and SS#.

The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

The numbers are:
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

No comments: